Mar 24, 2011

Chinese-Style Fish with Sesame Soy Sauce

I feel like I bitch about not finding ingredients on a regular basis. This dish was no exception. The original recipe called for monk fish. Well, I knew I wouldn't be finding that at the Oswego supermarket, so I set out looking for halibut. No halibut. There was haddock, swai, catfish, tilapia and probably five other kinds which are exactly alike. But not a single thick white-fleshed fish. I wasn't in a good mood when I got to the fish counter anyways because of the chili selection. I substituted a cherry pepper for the red chili in the original recipe because the store obviously wouldn't have something so common. I need to move.

I'm attempting to make more fish lately. I need a healthy option once or twice a week. This is a great option for those looking for a health, but flavorful dish.

Chinese-Style Fish with Sesame Soy Sauce
adapted from Ching-He Huang

2 fillets of some sort of fish (try monkfish it might be good, I used swai)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tablespoons peanut oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 red chili (if you can find it), deseeded and minced
1 Tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
4-5 Tablespoons light soy sauce
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 spring onions, julienned
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Season the fillets with salt and pepper. Heat a wok or saute pan until very hot and add the oil. Add the fish to the pan, pressing down lightly on the fillets to keep them from curling, and cook for 3-4 minutes on one side. Reduce the heat to medium, flip the fish and sprinkle with chili, garlic and ginger. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and spoon over the fish. Sprinkle in the onion and cilantro. Continue cooking the fish until just cooked through, about 4 minutes.

Serve the fish with some of the pan sauce spooned over the top. I served this on white rice with steamed asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment